Pie is the new cupcake and I couldn’t be happier about the pie trend. Pies never were not trendy in our house, I’ve always been a pie lover, probably because I grew up with my mother being the pie master herself. Summer time would be the best… We would go in the forest backyard and pick up blueberries and come our faces and hand blue and just enough blueberries for mom to make a blueberry pie. Or we had rhubarb in the backyard, and the entire garden was full of apple trees and plum trees for plenty of harvest for pies galore.
This pie recipe is inspired by my mother’s pies and my childhood summers in Finland. Typically I make blueberry alone or strawberry and rhubarb together, but quite frankly… I had just used most of the strawberries for the strawberry sangria, and I used whatever I happened to have at home and I love the result. This pie is served cold, and it’s a great pie to even make a day ahead.
Summer Berry Rhubarb Pie Recipe
1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 vanilla yogurt, Greek style works the best
1/2 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla sugar
2 tablespoons of sugar
1/2 cup strawberries
1/2 cup blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Mix sugar and butter together with a mixer or in food processor. Add egg, flour and baking powder and mix until mixed well. Form into a ball.
3. Spread butter on a pie plate, add flour to prevent the dough from sticking. Start pressing the dough on the pie plate and make sure there is enough for the sides. Push down the edge a little bit so it is all even.
4. Cut the rhubarb in 1/3 inch pieces and slice the strawberries as well. Add them on the bottom of the pie pan.
5. Mix the yogurt, sour cream, egg, sugar and vanilla sugar. If you don’t have vanilla sugar you can substitute with 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Pour on the top of the rhubarb and strawberries. Don’t worry if it is very runny – the egg will make it set in the oven.
6. Add blueberries on the top and out the pie in the oven for 35-45 minutes.
7. Serve cold. Best the next day. But it’s good even when warm.. and we usually don’t have any left for the next day.
All Rights Reserved - Presnal5 Ltd 2007-2023
Skimbaco Lifestyle is for nomadic trailblazers, fearless founders, rebel leaders and people who live life to the fullest.