- Pick a well-recognized website for choosing your rental
- Narrow the search down to your requirements, but don’t make the search too narrow. At first I like to get a general picture of what’s available and where, and only then I start narrowing it down by location, size, child-friendliness and so on.
- Read the details the owner has provided carefully, but read the customer reviews with even more care. After all, the rental details are provided by the owner, where as the reviews are from other guests who have stayed in the property.
- Make a pick of three to five properties where you would like to stay, and make an enquiry to every one of them. The availability details are not always up to date, and you will most likely to get a rejection or two.
- When making the enquiry make it personal, let them know who you are and where you are coming from. If I was the owner and got two enquiries at once, for sure I would go for the one who seemed more friendly and reliable.
- Once you get a green light from the rental owner, proceed with the booking as instructed.
- Enjoy your holiday where ever it might be!
“Traveling like a local and staying at home like a tourist” is one of the themes that unites all of us Skimbaco writers whether we live in California, London, New York, Sweden or North Carolina. And the best way I have found for blending into the local lifestyle when traveling abroad with the family, has been by finding a suitable vacation rental. Besides being able to stay outside the areas congested with hotels, vacation rentals are often great value for money and give you a real insight to the locals’ lifestyle. Especially with kids, the extra space you can have when compared to hotel rooms is golden too, as is the possibility to cook your own meals when needed.Here are few tips I have found helpful in the quest for the perfect vacation rental.