The Best Cornbread Stuffing Recipe (with Mushrooms and Apples)
One of the key ingredients in Thanksgiving cooking is chicken broth, right? Well, what if you forget to buy chicken broth or you run out of chicken broth in the middle of Holiday cooking? This has happened to me, and I have to say, I’m so glad it did, because I accidentally made the best cornbread stuffing ever.
We like moist stuffing and usually use lots of chicken broth to make it nice and moist. This time I used chicken bouillon cubes but wasn’t sure if that was going to work as well, so I didn’t add as much as I typically would use chicken broth so I decided add an apple cut in very small cubes to add moisture and made a new family favorite stuffing immediately! To add flavor and moisture to the stuffing I also added sauteed onions and mushrooms.
Cornbread Stuffing with Mushrooms and Apples Recipe
2 boxes of cornbread muffin mix – I use Jiffy’s, it’s cheap
2/3 cup milk
2 slices of sourdough bread – I love Zurro’s in New York
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1,5 cups of boiling water (for the cubes)
2 small onions
6-10 white mushrooms
1/3 stick butter
1 small apple
spices, for example sage, thyme, rosemary
– I used Drogheria & Alimentari Tuscan Herbs Mill mix with rosemary, sage, thyme, basil, bay and marjoram
1. Prepare the cornbread as instructed in the cornbread box. After baked, break the bread in small pieces and let it cool down.
2. Break the sourdough bread slices to small and mix with the cornbread.
3. Mince onion to small and slice the mushrooms in thin slices and sauté them together in the butter until onions are golden. Mix with the bread and cornbread mix and let them soak in the flavors for at least and hour or overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 350F.
5. Boil the water and dissolve the chicken bouillon.
6. Cut a small apple in small cubes, you don’t have to peel it first, just wash well.
7. Mix the bread mix, chicken bouillon and apples and add two eggs and mix well.
8. Put the mix in an oven dish and bake at 350F for 45minutes to an hour.
Skimbaco Lifestyle is for nomadic trailblazers, fearless founders, rebel leaders and people who live life to the fullest.