How to keep your flowers looking fresh for longer
Did you know that roses have an outer layer of “guard petals” that should be removed after delivery? I didn’t. If you want to read more flower care tips, check out the following tips from Organic Bouquet’s
CEO Robert McLaughlin to keep your Mother’s Day flowers looking their best. Organic Bouquet is the largest online provider of eco-friendly and organic gifts and their flowers are not only grown with the environment in mind, but they are also a mission-based company.
KEEP FLOWERS LOOKING FRESH FOR LONGER
Follow these steps to maximize the vase life of your flower delivery:
– Prepare a solution of warm water and a flower food packet, or mix 2 tbsp fresh lemon or lime juice and
1 tbsp sugar per quart of water
– Fill a vase with the solution to within 1-2 inches of the rim
– Remove any leaves and foliage that would fall under the water line
– Cut each stem at about ½ inch from the bottom, at a 45 degree angle, with a sharp single blade knife or floral clippers
– Display arrangement in a cool location between 65-72 degrees and away from direct sunlight and heat or dehumidifying sources
ADDITIONAL FLOWER CARE TIPS:
have an outer layer called “guard petals” that keep the bloom tight and protect the flower during shipping. They may appear discolored or bruised – simply remove these petals and the rose will blossom over the next few days.
will bloom over the course of several days. Remove the pollen to avoid staining. Pollen dust can be removed from the flower petals by lightly brushing with a pipe cleaner. Cut off expired lily blooms as blooms closer to the tip continue to open.
– Flowers need to be rehydrated after shipment. They will “perk up” after several hours of drinking when cared for according to the instructions above.
– Top off the water level daily
– Clean the vase, change the flower food solution and re-cut the stems every two days
Happy Mother’s Day!